Clatterbridge Cancer Centre marks 60th anniversary

The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre was officially opened on March 28, 1958 by Lord Cohen of Birkenhead, who was the most prominent physician in the country at the time. he centre’s origins can be traced back more than a century to the Liverpool Hospital for Cancer and Diseases of the Skin, which was established by surgeon James Seaton Smythe in 1862 in Islington, Liverpool. Seven years later he bequeathed the hospital the sum of £10,000 and in 1882 the hospital moved to a new site in nearby Myrtle Street and was renamed The Radium Institute.
Wirral Globe