A schoolboy who thought a swelling on his nose was caused by a mosquito bite actually had a deadly tumour the size of a tennis ball growing in his nostril. Matthew Kirk, 11, first spotted the lump on a family holiday but put it down to an insect bite. The lump was in fact caused by alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma – cancerous tumours of the connective tissue. The large mass had grown up towards his eye and across his top lip meaning conventional radiotherapy could have damaged his vision. So he he was flown to Oklahoma for specialist proton beam therapy, which is not yet available in the UK.